Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Recent News

This comes from Mike:
STORM REPORT******
NEWS FAKTORY******
NEXT MEETING*******


Hey Gang,
I took the chance in todays thaw to go down to the garden. Walking in, I saw some funny sights, results from yesterday' storm.
The two beds in front, to the left, were both moved a couple feet from where they'd been. Huh'; And there was a bunch of recycling trash scattered about. The trash can was knocked over. A lot of leaves everywhere.
All the cold frame glass was intact, which surprised me, seeing as how much chaos was else everywhere. Greenhouse was in tip-top shape. I noticed some strange claw marks on one styrofoam piece. Looked like some wild gremlin scratches, bigger than a dog like Cate. Maybe that hawk, but-
Then, as I walk back toward the garden, I saw that the giant pine beam from in front of the greenhouse, bed the squash were in this year-- that giant beam was moved about fifteen feet right up next to yarrow's steps!! WHAT!? And another of those beams was moved a foot or so.
At this point I could think of nothing else than some giant strong gremlin was playing havoc in our garden. I calld Dauna.
She said we musta got hit by one of them twisters!!! There was a bunch of them back in the fifties in that neighborhood, just some microclimate because wer'e at the mouth of the bay. ( We were in that last night here on George M Cohan Boulevard. Our house was swaying. up here on the third floor it was notable, like being on a boat. especially with all that water splashing onthe windows. )
Soon after, I saw Yarrow, and he said it been flooding. They got some in their shop too, (remember that giant puddle that forms between yarrows and gerrys???) and we started seeing the watermark left all over the garden. On the back wall it was about ten inches!!! The line was up to the edge of all the beds, I guess water filling in the channels. The marks on the greenhouse are high! They go about 15 inches up the side right next to the door. Right up to the top brick on our new wall. Water came in the channel a lot, from what I can see. It is hard to even believe!! Well, everything is really fine, some tools may have got soaked but everything was amazing tranquil!! Nothing really distrubed.
Many of the new beds were moved around, all the ones on the serpentine. We should switch those around anyway, and get 'em off the rocks.

----- Fertile Weatherground, Illuminated Press Freely, Providence. 12/13/10 D'Spacio et al.

I got the front bed inside the greenhouse all filled in with compost. Beautiful day, all warm and amicable. The soil moved nice, unlike the other day when the ground was frozen. I learned that the large front window is perfectly sized to fit Gerry wide wheelbarrow! So I was just pouring it in through the front.
That bed is ready to plant. We've potted up about 40 plant-folks who are currently living in there, and they should go in. Also I have some seeds of winter-hardy varieties of lettuce, watercress, spinach, & chard. I can definitely use help planting the greenhouse, and generally organizing and preparing to tend a new group of plants.
I don't know when I will have a chance to get back over, but if there is a good day for you, maybe we could do it then. After Wednesday. And speaking of Wednesday,

We'll be meeting at Brower's this Wednesday after 7:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment